Thursday 8 March 2012

Yayoi Kusama

Yayoi Kusama's transendant expression of work captured my imagination through her use of psychedelic colours and repetative forms. Her work was aesthetically mesmerizing and conveyed intense psychological 'hallucinations' she has experienced during her life. I particularly liked her instillation of the boat covered in soft stiched forms, coating every area; including the entirity of the room in repetative images of the boat. Due to the black and white contrasts and lighting in the room it created an atmospheric motion, which swayed the room as if it were moving. This instigated thoughts within my own practise of how I can use repetitive images to create the illusion of movement.

I found most of her work was drawn to this element of illusion and was very successful. Her trademark polka-dots immersed the whole exhibition and showed an in depth progression in the ways in which she used them. The infinity room best defines this as it creates the illusion of infinate circular lights, reflected by mirrors and water. This also made me condiser how mirrors can be used to create masses and how this relevance can be used with in my own work.

Alot of Kusama's work derives from her past childhood hallucinations, which is said to have sought her 'self obliteration'. By surrounding herself and the enviroment in vast polka-dots; encouraged the idea that she found solace within the intrinsic madness. Through all the various mediums Kusama uses, you can identify her obsession and compulsion to create Art in a therapeutic manner; which can be percieved as very personal and a reflection of her psyche.

I would defiantely want to see more of Kusama's work as it intreuges my mind into what possesses her impulsesses to create such Art. I also I think with the knowledge that she has been self submitted in a psychiatric care home for the past 35 years, makes me feel like the Art work is more natural and organic, giving it a sense of presence without faulse cause or predetermined explanation.


No comments:

Post a Comment